Thursday 19 February 2015

God's children

In our first meeting as a Masters group Daryl Riddle spoke about the love God has for children. Jesus clearly stated in the Bible that 'Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me; whoever welcomes me does not welcome me but the one who sent me' " (Mark 9:36-37 New International Version). Daryl made us think about what this means for us as teachers. If God loves His children so much, how do we need to treat them? If God has a plan for each of them, how can we then help in His plan? Does this impact in the way that we teach? 


I haven't been able to stop thinking about this since that meeting. This thought changes the way I look at the students in my class and has really challenged me to think about the way in which I interact with them. The role we play in education as teachers is so much more than the academic growth of students. We have the opportunity to also help them develop emotionally and spiritually (Price, 2011) and I believe also socially.

Price (2011) promotes that many teachers share in the passion to want to help their students develop across all of these areas of their lives. Working at a Christian school I believe we are very lucky to be able to intentionally integrate curriculum and create opportunities that allow for spiritual growth of our students, as well as catering for the growth of other areas of the students lives.

Despite having greater opportunity to make an impact and to help students transform their lives, without the right knowledge and understanding we might miss out on the chance to make a true difference. Price (2011) proposes that how teachers understand key concepts such as spirituality and religion can affect the way they go about their teaching. The Collins English Dictionary defines spirituality as;
"the state or quality of being dedicated to God, religion or spiritual things or values, especially as contrasted with material or temporal ones" (Collins English Dictionary, as cited in Price, 2011). 
When first reading this definition as compared to the Cambridge Dictionaries online definition (2015), my initial thoughts was that in the twenty years that have passed between these two definitions there has been a significant change. God has been cut out altogether and spirituality has gone from being a dedication to feelings. However, further on in Price's article she highlights that we don't need to be confined to this definition or any other when we know that our spirits were designed by God so that we could recognise, relate to and know our Creator (Price, 2011). 
 "Religion... generally [means] rules, dogma, received truths and tribal loyalties... [whereas] Spirituality is, above everything else, a personal experience that cannot be imposed" (Dorwick as cited in Price, 2011).
Dorwick's view really makes me change the way I understand spirituality. It is not solely a set of beliefs or values, but rather a personal and very individual experience. In terms of Christianity, a very personal relationship or experience with God. This revelation needs to impact the way I go about teaching in the future. I am lucky enough to have devotions with my class every morning and I also teach a Year 7 Christian Education class. In these specific classes and also in my day to day interactions with students I want to ensure that I am not only being a witness to the personal relationship I have with God and the way that it has transformed my life but I also want to make sure that students aren't coming away from time with me thinking that Christianity is just a 'religion' with a set of rules to abide by.

Jenkins (1995) suggests that as Christian educators we should be aiming for true transformation of our students. He defines transformation as our faith in the power of the resurrection in the life of an individual. He discusses it being not only about the heart and mind changing but also a change in behaviour in the way in which we act. This may come through living out godly actions and also through loving relationships (p.1). In my opinion, I would definitely agree that as a Christian school we would love to see true transformation of our students and see them come to know Christ. However, I also think it is important to realise that we may just be a piece in the puzzle, or the ones to plant the seed. Although it would be wonderful if all of our students came to know Christ and be transformed whilst in their time with us at school, it is likely that this isn't going to be the case for all students. I believe our role is to do our very best to create the right environment for them to learn about Gods love for them and to enable them to experience His love through the way in which we interact with them.

In his overview, Jenkins (1995) describes different cultures that can exist in Christian schools. He describes a conforming culture as one that establishes adherence to a particular set of cultural values as its goal. He compares that with transforming culture, which he suggests establishes Christlikeness as its goal and allows for freedom for diversity of expression with an overall unit of purpose (p.1). As a school I think we need to help our students to develop in a transforming culture rather than a conforming one. We want to help our students to transform their lives and behaviours and not just to conform to what they think is presented as the 'right way to live'. 

To help us create the best environment for having a positive influence on the spiritual growth of our students, Jenkins (1995) argues that we need provide not only a biblical way of thinking but also a biblical way of living to our students. He explains that this can't just be through teaching right thinking but this needs to be modeled by staff actions and attitudes in good times and bad (p.2). I couldn't agree with Jenkins point more. To help our students to explore and question what they believe in, we need to be Christlike in our actions. When hard situations arise we need to approach them in the way that reflects Christlike behaviour and in positive situations we need to do the same. For some students this might be their only opportunity to witness Gods love and Christian values in action and we need to make the most of every opportunity. 

Jack Fennema's view of spirituality and education in his book 'The Crumbling Walls of Certainty' supports some of the ideas of Jenkins. Fennema (1997) argues that a biblical world view needs to be the perspective taken when we approach education and the students in our care. He points out that the way in which teachers view their students has a major influence on their students (pp.99-100). Fennema (1997) unpacks the different ways teachers might see their students and compares this to that of what the Bible says.
'Students are beings-in-relationship-with God, with others and with creation. In responsive obedience they are called to love and to serve within these basic relationships of life. All students have been placed within these three relationships. That does not mean, however, that all students respond positively and obediently in each of these relationships.' (Fennema, 1997, p.104.)

All students were made in God's image but have been given free will to choose whether they listen to the Spirit or whether they choose to follow and direct their attention to other things. We were all born human with a spirit and an opportunity to be saved because of the actions of Jesus. We can be saved and can still then choose not to reflect this well through our actions. I find this insight interesting and challenging as I personally know what it feels like to be in a positive relationship with God and I also know what it feels like to not. Having this experience makes me want to help students so much more knowing how much better life can be living in relationship with God. I want to help my students to listen to the Spirit and understand what it can be like to be obedient to the call. I know I am not perfect but my experience could be influential to someone's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment